Saturday, May 14, 2005

Sex Ed

I think every human being should, at one time or another, sit in a classroom of fourth grade girls while the nurse gives "the talk." When my twelve ten-year-old girls asked me to stay in the room for moral support during "the talk," I didn't think anything of it. As the nurse put in "the movie" and then was called to her office, I realized that it was just as uncomfortable as an adult teacher as it was when I was in elementary school (the fifth grade, I think - and it wasn't as detailed as this time!) Anyways, these are some things that were said that I think you might enjoy ... I don't think any of them are offensive and, if they are, I apologize in advance.

So, the nurse just got down teaching the girls about "menstruation" and said they they could expect to get their periods when they were eleven or twelve years old. Directly after that statement, she explains that if an egg meets a sperm then a baby is created. If you could've seen the deer-in-headlights eyes of most of the girls. One girl's eyes in particular looked like they were going to pop out of her head and she sort of yelled, "What if you don't want that to happen, you don't want to have a baby?" The nurse calmly replied, "Well then, you would refrain from having a sperm meet the egg." OK, is THAT an explanation? The child promptly replied with an attitude, "Well, how do I stop THAT from happening?" It took every muscle in my body to keep from both laughing and peeing my pants. It was hysterical.

Another girl, quite bluntly, asked, "Hey, I keep seeing the Trojan man on the television and I NEED to know what a condom is." Response to that: "Ask your mother."

On a not-so-light-and-funny-note, I was disturbed when a student said her mother went on birth control when she was 13 because she wasn't ready to have a baby. She innocently asked, "What's birth control? I think I'll go on in when I'm 13, too, because my mom doesn't want me to have a baby." Seriously, the children in the world today are in such need of sound moral Biblical teaching.

A highlight of the conversation was when the nurse began talking about needing to talk to an adult female, either mother or second-mother-type-person, about these things and one of my students (who I mentor through a special program) pointed at me and mouthed the words, "That's you." People wonder how Christians can have an impact in the public school system and, to me, that moment says it all. We're called simply (but NOT so simply) to love these children with the love of Christ. What an awesome calling!

Hope you enjoyed those snapshots from my life! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home