Friday, June 24, 2005

Random Thoughts

I have to number these because I have a lot floating around in my mind!

1. Read Katie's blog. www.ktanderson.blogspot.com. (Refresh the page so you get today's post.) Especially if you want the short version. I echo everything she said and she said it so succinctly (spelling?)

2. E-mail me if you want me to send you pictures of the three most beautiful children I know, especially since they're mine for the here-and-now (although not for too long.)

3. You know that shower misting cleaning spray that you're supposed to spray in your shower after each use and it will keep it "clean" and mildew-free? First of all, let me say that I like it and I use it and I think it saves me some time in cleaning the bathroom (which has become a daily routine with three kids!) However, there are two sets of directions and this is really bothering me ... first of all there's "starting with a clean shower - mist daily after shower use." That makes sense. But then there's "starting with a dirty shower - mist daily after shower use, expect it to take up to two weeks to become clean, then continue to mist daily." Why would you suffer through a dirty shower for two weeks instead of taking five minutes to scrub it and "start with a clean shower"? I just don't get that ...

4. I love my mom. I called her this morning to say I was sorry. I am sorry for the judgement I made on my mother for not keeping our bathroom spic and span. I remember, as I got older, trying to clean it once-in-a-while and getting frustrated that it wouldn't stay that way, but I always (in the back of my mind) wondered why my mom wouldn't clean it. Now I realize that she probably did ... all the time! After ONE day with three children, my bathroom was disgusting! I made them entertain themselves for an hour this morning while I scrubbed it out. (Then I reminded the boys WHERE they were supposed to be relieving themselves ... yuck!) Anyways, yeah, it's a lot of work.

5. Reading is magical. Katie's mom gave Katie advice to impart to me as well to always read to the children living with us. Mrs. Anderson still reads to Katie's brother, who I think is going into the sixth grade. Well, I didn't really know how to incorporate that into our bedtime routine here. John never wanted to read, so when Krista and Daniel came this time, I was excited to hear that Krista loved to read. (She is, by the way, the best first-grade reader I have ever listened to!) Anyways, Krista and I read before bed and try to get Daniel interested in reading, as well. I just haven't forced it with John. It's been crazy because we've been painting the boys' room so they've been sleeping in our rooms and Katie and I have been crashing in the living room. John likes to sleep with the TV on. I don't let him. I tell him if he's not asleep by a certain time, I'm coming in to shut if off. Wednesday was 11 ... Thursday was 10:30 ... tonight was a new room with no TV! He did great. At 9:51 when I said "bedtime," he said "OK." (I tried not to look shocked.) He ran into Krista's room and came running to me with a book and asked me to read to him. I don't know why that hit me so hard, but I loved it. I'd been joking about reading and talking about it a lot, but it was much more rewarding for him to come to ME with a book than for me to force him through a story before bed. After we read and talked about chapter one, and he asked me to read chapter two, how could I say no? I told him my limit was chapter 2 because I was so happy to be reading with him that I'd read all night if I didn't set myself a limit. Krista came in and joined us. I sat for about a half hour with all three and read "The Boxcar Children". Funny thing is, a few times (randomly) I got choked up while reading.

They must think I'm weird. I'm not. I'm blessed. Incredibly. Tonight, before I retreated to my room, I got to put three wonderful children to bed. My favorite part about that is when they are finally asleep and I go in and pray for each one individually. Specifically that God would give them hearts open to Him and searching for Him and that God would put the people in their lives to bring them to Him. Because, truth be told, they should be coming back once or twice a month from here on out, but I don't know that for sure. With foster care, things change daily. Yes, I would like to keep these children, but no, the likelihood of that is not high. So I take each day as it comes (and cry a little ) and I trust that God is sovereign ... not just over me and not just over Christians, but over everything and everyone. So much is at stake when you deal with people. We really have the opportunity to make an eternal difference. Yes, I am giving these kids a safe place and a loving home, but more importantly, I'm investing in their eternity. And I pray that, one day, I'll be worshipping God face-to-face ... with John, Krista, and Daniel beside me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home