Friday, July 15, 2005

Quick Update (Keon and Christian)

Tuesday evening, I got a phone call around 8 PM to take a 5 yr, 18 mo, and 9 mo from Erie. I really didn't believe it until I got the confirmation call that I was to pick all three up at a gas station in Meadville (where I would meet them with their caseworker.) While I had the option of borrowing seats from various county agencies, since it was now almost 9:00, I decided to go pick up stuff at Wal-Mart for myself. I decided it couldn't hurt to have the stuff on hand in case something else came up and, if this were only a one-night deal, I could probably return the stuff I didn't use (or only used once!) So, I left to pick up Monteko (Teko), Keon, and Christian.

Thursday evening, Kelsey flew in. I was supposed to pick her up when I drove home for Mark Foster's wedding this weekend, but I had to cancel that trip because of these kiddos. So, supernanny Kelsey flew in Thursday. Little did she know what she was in for in just the first twenty-four hours that she was here.

At 8:30 Friday morning, I got a phone call from my caseworker saying that the two older children would be going into kinship care (care from a relative or clsoe family friend), that I would need to drive back to the famous gas station in Meadville, and she also asked if I'd keep Christian, the baby. I said, yes, packed up their stuff, and headed out. I knew I'd be sad, but I also knew how angry and difficult Teko was and how active and tiring Keon was. I thought, "The Lord only gives what we can handle, and he must see that I'm not really able to handle all three children plus my two dogs!"

I thought I'd be sad to see Keon leave, but he was asleep and Teko turned out to be so difficult, I even forgot to kiss Keon goodbye. Teko didn't want to leave, especially when he found out he was going to live with grandma for a little while. (We thought that'd be comforting, but it really did upset him.) He just kept asking if I'd take him on one more road trip (our fun phrase for long car rides!) and begging me not to leave him. The caseworker just worked as I tried to calm him down and, eventually, had to restrain him and buckle him in his booster seat in her car. He screamed and they left with his tear-stained face up against her window watching me leave. It was truly heart-breaking. I put Christian in the car, knelt in to buckle him, and just broke down. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm running on less than 3 hours of sleep each night. (Can someone tell me why I'm up blogging at 1:30 in the morning then?!)

Anyways, after Christian, Kelsey, and I cried for about five minutes, we headed back out. We went to the grocery store and, on our way out, the caseworker called. She told me she had the wrong child. I was speechless. My first thought was, "She needs the baby," which I wasn't ready to give up. However, she said she was supposed to take Teko's older brother, who was in a different placement, and did I want to take Keon back because he didn't have a place to go. Of course, I did. I told her Christian had a doctor's appointment and we arranged to meet for me to get Keon back as soon as the appointment was over.

Christian has a middle ear infection in both ears and ruptured temp ... something membranes in each ear. He's on infant Tylenol every four hours and an antibiotic. Life is crazy. By the time we were out of the office, the caseworker was in Hermitage so we met in Staples (which I do prefer to a gas station) and I took Keon. She told me she'd be in touch Monday, but that this respite would turn into a placement. She's sure of that. My agency supervisor is more careful and says we're waiting until Monday to find out about that. I asked if it does happen, do they go with me ... she said unless I don't want them. (Can you imagine me not wanting them?!) I get first choice. The caseworker doesn't even think it's possible they'll ever go back to Mom or Dad ... I'm trying SO hard to just take one day at a time. There are always uncertainties and these ones are edging on the brink of unbearable.

So, we came back, visited with Katie's dad and brother, and then spent a long time at JCPenny, picking out three outfits for each of them, a Nemo blanket for the baby, and a diaper bag. We'll wait 'til we found out it's a placement, but once we do, we need more bottles, a stroller, togs, the list is endless ... and amazing.

Life is so hectic. I don't return phone calls. I don't even think of returning phone calls. I worry that I complain when I talk to my Mom and that maybe I don't sound like I'm having fun. If I complain to you, please know it's just because I'm tired and overwhelmed, but NOT FOR A SECOND in the last 144 hours have I ever stopped feeling immense joy in the fact that I have the two most precious children under my roof. I loved them the second I saw them and that love has grown exponentially every time I look at them, or even just listen to them breathe. It's amazing. I don't deserve to have them even for this short time, but I'm certainly glad God lent them to me to take care of for the time being.

Prayers appreciated? Certainly! I'm living off of your prayers. I love you all. E-mail me if you would like to see pictures. Goodnight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home